Gunners ‘need to be more clinical’ says Williamson

Leah Williamson says Arsenal are keen to add a ruthless streak to their attacking play for the upcoming WSL Spring Series.

The Gunners won the Women’s FA Cup last season, beating Chelsea 1-0 at Wembley.

But they could only manage a third-place finish in the league behind champions Manchester City and runners-up Chelsea.

Versatile midfielder/defender Williamson told Elephant Sport: “We have learned that we need to be more clinical, and we need a team of girls all heading in the same direction with the same will to win, which I believe we have.”

The England under-23 international added: “We want to retain our FA Cup title, win the Spring Series, and we want to best prepare ourselves for the winter league in September to be back in contention for Champions League places.”

Fighting fit

When the FA Women’s Super League was launched in 2011 it was as a summer competition, but it is now being synchronised with the men’s game.

“I want to prove that I am ready now, despite my [young] age and previous injuries”

To prepare for this, teams in WSL 1 will play in a Spring Series, with nine rounds of matches to be played from April to June.

Williamson, who has been at Arsenal since the age of nine, spent most of last season on the sidelines with an injury.

But the 19-year-old is currently fighting fit and eager to return to action.

“I want to stay fit and healthy to be in the starting 11 for Arsenal and then hopefully the football will take care of itself,” said the Arsenal No.6.

“I want to prove that I am ready now, despite my [young] age and previous injuries.”

Arsenal will kick off the Spring Series on April 23rd at home against Notts County Ladies FC.