Features

Published on November 30th, 2015 | by Christopher Abraham

Can Austin make it to Euro 2016?

Euro 2016 is on the horizon, but is there a place in the England squad for Charlie Austin?

The 26-year-old striker will probably have to leave QPR in the January transfer window to stand any chance of being on the plane to France.

He opted to stay at Rangers despite their relegation from the Premier League last season, reportedly turning down offers from top-flight clubs in the summer.

Austin had enjoyed an outstanding debut campaign at elite level, scoring an impressive 18 goals – a tally only beaten by Sergio Aguero, Harry Kane and Diego Costa.

“The debate continues about whether the hard-working Austin has got what it takes to make to have an impact on the international stage”

It wasn’t enough to save QPR from the drop, and the forward admitted remaining at Loftus Road would probably rule him out of Roy Hodgson’s plans.

Austin received his first call-up to the England squad in May 2015 but has yet to feature at senior international level.

Also part of that squad was Leicester’s Jamie Vardy, a fellow late developer who, like Austin, plied his trade at non-league level before getting his chance as a professional.

In Austin’s case, this involved playing for Kintbury, Hungerford and Poole before League One outfit Swindon signed him in 2009.

After 54 games, he moved on to Burnley, playing 82 times in three seasons, switching to QPR in 2013 and helping them to gain promotion to the Premier League that season.

The debate continues about whether the hard-working Austin has got what it takes to make to have an impact on the international stage.

But what do fans at some of his previous and current clubs think about his prospects?

Poole supporter Tom Anderson

“I always thought Austin was a talent , When he left Poole to sign on for Swindon in 2009, me and a couple supporters between us placed a substantial bet on him scoring for England one day.

Obviously Austin has progressed from the level he was at in non-league football, but he shows the same attributes at QPR he did at Poole. H he just seems more evolved as a player now

“Whether he deserves a spot in the Euros is debatable as he is in a more difficult position compared to the strikers he is competing against”

When I watched him play he showed great promise and benefited the team all-round and it was obvious he was going to be a great talent, and even when he left he had great effect on us.

Information spread among Poole supporters that the club was getting money every time Austin played 10 matches or scored another 10 goals for Swindon, which was a massive blessing for us as we need as much funding as possible to upgrade our ground

I remember on match days we would listen out for how our departed striker was getting on. ‘Austin scores, Austin scored again,’ and because we were aware that money was important for the club, it would cause a joyous atmosphere.

When Austin was at Poole he played in the Wessex League in the ninth tier of English football and helped us win the title, which was brilliant for the club.

Whether he deserves a spot in the Euros is debatable as he is in a more difficult position compared to the strikers he is competing against. However, I feel that he definitely deserves to play in the Premier League where I’m sure he will flourish.” 

Swindon Town supporter Jordan Trench

“A lot of people forget this, but it was Swindon who brought Charlie Austin to the Football League, propelling him out of non-League football with Poole Town where he also worked as a bricklayer.

“I definitely think from what I have seen from Austin that he has the quality to play at international level”

When I use to watch Austin play, in my opinion he ticked all the boxes for his position in the squad. He’s quick, smart on the ball and has impressive ball control.

He looked strong and as a centre forward he did well to hold up the ball and bring other players into the game. He was also great in the air.

He scored 34 goals in 54 games when he was with us but put in a transfer request after an appearance in the play offs.

What I though that made him stand out in the squad and showed he was destined for greater things was his end product, his ability to unlock a defence in crucial moments and come out on top.

I definitely think from what I have seen from Austin that he has the quality to play at international level, but I feel he is really at a disadvantage as he is playing a season in the second tier.

He is out of the limelight in comparison to Premier League strikers such as Kane, Rooney and Sturridge so I feel he is unlikely to make the England squad.”

QPR fan Alex Moyle

“I feel this season, Austin is giving it his all to impress in terms of his contribution but it looks obvious in my opinion that he is reluctant to stay on the club.

“People seem to just wait for their rise to stardom happen, but I feel Austin has made it happen for himself”

I know he is focusing on his priority to gain a spot in the England squad that will go to France for the Euros in summer.

“So logically playing in the Premier League would definitely benefit him as he would be playing against opponents that perform on the international stage.

That would help him up his game, whereas in the Championship he is playing against lower-level players.

In today’s society, people seem to just wait for their rise to stardom happen. But I feel Austin has made it happen for himself with his individual talent, and how he announced himself to the Premier League last season.

It was just a shame we couldn’t stay in the top flight, and we certainly wouldn’t be debating now whether Austin deserves a spot in the European squad.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

About the Author